How do I know if my child needs help?
How do I know if my child needs help? What are the warning signs for childhood or adolescent anxiety, depression, self-harm, low self-esteem, suicidal thoughts, substance abuse, child abuse or eating disorders? These are questions that every parent asks at some point. We can help you answer these difficult questions and understand the warning signs your child may exhibit, such as:
· Low appetite or abnormal weight gain or weight loss
· More than 9 ½ hours of sleep in a 24-hr period
· Wearing clothing that isn't weather appropriate, for example: long sleeves or pants in the summer
· Not talking to friends they once had, loss of interest in being around any peer group,
or becoming obsessed with a new friend group
· If someone in their immediate community (school, sports team, age group, or even just someone connected to someone they know) attempts or commits suicide and they have an obvious preoccupation with it.
· Extreme moods
· Consistent dishonesty or no remorse for actions
· An extreme or abnormal desire to spend time on the internet or cell phone, especially if parents are not aware of what the child is doing or with whom they are communicating
· They show signs of child abuse such as unexplained bruises or cuts, injuries, a sudden fear to be near a certain person or type of person, or bed wetting that begins after they have mastered potty training.
A child therapist can help if your child is displaying some or many of these signs. If you believe your child needs help, we have the experience and tools to offer effective support for families with children of all ages. Cypress Counseling Center currently works with children ages 7 and up. Set up a complimentary 30-minute consultation with one of our therapists today at (720) 460-9164. For immediate emergencies, dial 911 at any time if you feel that your child is in immediate danger